Thursday 5 May 2016

IELTS Speaking Cue Card 11 - A subject that helped you in your life

Describe a subject that helped you in your life even though you did not like it in your school time. Please say -
1.   What was the subject?
2.   Do you like it now?
3.   How did it helped you?  

SAMPLE ANSWER

I had studied many subjects during my entire academic years as a student. There were a few subjects that I really found interesting to study while there were some I did not like during my school days. One such subject which I did not like, but it really helped me a lot is English.

One of the most basic reasons I did not like this subject was because it had a lot of difficult poetic compositions from poets like Shakespeare in its curriculum, which used words, I at times failed to understand in their true context. Moreover, as during those days, our school's faculty for this subject was not experienced enough as a teacher, it added on to my dislike for learning this language.

I really like this subject now as it has helped me in numerous ways over the years. To begin with, as English today has become one of the most spoken languages globally, knowing it enables me to connect with people from different parts of the world and know about their cultures and lifestyles by interacting with them in an efficient manner. Furthermore, as I am currently a student and wish to pursue my higher education from abroad, having an understanding of English allowed me to understand and practice the different modules of the IELTS examination in an effective way. To add on to it, learning this subject has also helped me academically over the years, as the entire school or college curriculum these days is drafted in English language.

Thus, I firmly believe that English is one of those subjects, which one should mandatorily study during the early years of their academic life. The main reason being knowing about its technicalities and the use of grammar will allow an individual to communicate effectively, both personally and professionally in their lives.

(This model answer can be followed as an example of a very good answer. However, please note that this is just one example out of many possible approaches.)


No comments:

Post a Comment