Thursday 24 March 2016

IELTS Speaking Cue Card 04 - Describe an activity you often do

Describe an activity you often do. You should say
1.   Where you do it? 
2.   Who you do it with? 
3.   Why you enjoy doing it? 
4.   And say what kind of people you would recommend that activity to and why? 

One of the most basic way of answering this question is to talk about an activity [such as sports] you are well aware of, have been doing on a regular basis or have seen/ observed others doing it. Some suggestions to build your answer can be -
  1. Sports activities such as cricket or football
  2. Reading books
  3. Traveling/ long drives
  4. Shopping
  5. Cooking
  6. Watching a movie with friends / family
  7. Photography among others


SAMPLE ANSWER

As an individual, I like to engage myself in a lot of different activities. These activities often help me to relax and take a break from the daily monotonous lifestyle I pursue. One such activity that I do often and would like to describe today is reading books.

As the saying goes - "A book is a man's best friend", I firmly believe that reading them not only educates us, but also helps us in gaining some of the most valuable experiences of life through the writings of others. I started reading books when I was in school and since then have developed this habit. Over the years, I have read books of different genres be it fiction, biographies or even travel memoirs. I mostly love to read books either at the comfort of my home or at a library where I can find some peaceful environment. I generally prefer to read alone, because it helps me to concentrate better on the book I am reading. However at times, I do find a good company during my visit to the city library and often I enjoy discussing the content and the author's writing with fellow readers.

I really enjoy doing this activity because it helps me to gain the much needed mental peace and allows me to take a break from the monotony of life. In addition to it, at times reading a book helps me to know about new places and cultures and even get to learn from the life experiences of others. Finally, reading books that describe the life of famous people, I at times do get inspired and motivated to live my life for a good cause.

I would like to recommend people of all age groups, be it children or youngsters or even those who work professionally to start reading books as it helps to refine an individual's personality and makes him or her more aware about the world and the society at large. Furthermore, reading a good book will also help a person to enhance its knowledge, which will be beneficial for him or her in the long run professionally.

(This model answer can be followed as an example of a very good answer. However, please note that this is just one example out of many possible approaches.)


No comments:

Post a Comment